Monday, November 10, 2014

Sixteenth Week - November 10, 2014


Well... Another week of studying, praying, planning, working, teaching, helping and serving.  Another week to cherish.  Another week as a missionary

This week was better, but still tough!  I can't even describe to you how hard we work everyday!  A quote I saw on the back of some guy's shirt I saw said, "Let your life speak louder than your words ever could," and us missionaries definitely take this quote into action.  Also, last Tuesday was the first day of my mission where I didn't sweat!!  It felt so good, and also to not sweat was amazing.  

We are so truly beyond blessed to have this gospel in our lives.  It is soooo clearly true in our eyes.  All the other churches are sooo lost, and it's sad to see what Satan has done and how well he can deceive people.  With our baptism this Saturday, the girl is 9 (Naomi) and her family is less active members.  The dad smokes all day and "can't" stop, but he's a good guy.  I like him a lot.  And Naomi is having a hard time giving up coffee, so after a long discussion with them, we came to the conclusion that the best thing to do was buy milk and pinolillo for them. (Note:  Pinolillo is a sweet cornmeal and cacao-based traditional drink in Nicaragua. It is made of ground toasted corn and a small amount of cacao.)  They haven't drank coffee since.  Everyone here drinks coffee because it is so cheap, so hopefully she hangs in there for a few more days so she is able to be baptized.  

This past week, I saw the moon, the biggest I have ever seen it before.  It was orange and was so sweet!  Oh, WOW!   I'll never forget what I ate for lunch on Thursday.  A fish that has probably been dead since the ice age!  Absolutley horrendous!!  Elder Regalizo threw it up that night haha!

And about the Frederick kid.  He's progressing a ton and came to church again yesterday, also looking like a missionary!  And he told me that his aunt lives in Bountiful!!! and is a member, and she wanted our address and #.  What are the chances???  So, I'll give him that info tonight. 


So much of life depends on our attitude.  The way we choose to see things and respond to others makes all the difference--to do the best we can and then to choose to be happy about our circumstances, whatever they might be.  I love the quote:  "Attitude, to me, is more important than the past,... than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do.  It is more important that appearance, giftedness, or skill.  It will make or break a company, a church, a home.  The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day." 

And also, we need the courage.  "Whatever you do, you need courage.  Whatever course you decide on, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong.  There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe that your critics are right.  To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs.  Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them."
I think of it as my Junior and Senior year at the state golf tournament.  Courage is called for when one stumbles and must make a second effort to achieve.  Those 2 years on the first days, I struggled, but I would tell myself over and over again before day 2 of the State Tournament something like, "I don't care what it takes.  I am going to have the best round out of everyone tomorrow."  And with that attitude I had, I was the low score out of everyone on the second day both years.  That only happened because I refused to give up.  


That's how I am out here.  I get denied, stuff thrown at us, doors slammed in my face, rejected everyday, but I refuse to give up!  No matter what they say or do, I won't give  up.  And if it weren't for golf, I doubt I would have this attitude.  I have learned many life lessons from golf that I apply to my life everyday!

Well, time to get to work.  Hope everyone is doing well, and I hope "Dumb and Dumber To" is hilarious.  I can't wait to see it!  Thanks for all the support.  I couldn't do this without you guys.

Love you,

Elder Copeland 

No comments:

Post a Comment