Monday, January 5, 2015

Twenty-fourth Week - January 5, 2015

Well, we finally have 2015! 

2014 was a great year.  Got my Patriarchal Blessing, mission call, all state banquet, spring break, graduation, Origination trip, temple, mission.  Those were some of my big highlights from the year, but many more!  But I am so happy that it is 2015 now, the whole year that I'm gone...
 
(You can read the disappointment all over Elder Copeland's face.  His mom sent him a brownie mix to have freshly baked brownies, but this is what happened when they tried to cook them.  Lots of lessons learned on a mission!) 
 (Harry Potter, aka Elder Copeland explains:  "We sweep this guy's house every Tuesday and Friday. He has some disease with his feet called asuca.  It's horrible... So I decided to make this a little fun.")
 ("My chocoyo," Elder Copeland says.)

One thing that the Nicaraguans do for New Years is they get some clothes and stuff a bunch of paper in there to make it look like a person.  They put a ton of fireworks in there.   Then they put the stuff that they are giving up by the guy; for example, smoking or drinking.  Than at midnight they blow the guy up with all the fireworks...  That night I didn't sleep because of all the noise...  
 
But this week was normal.  I got 6 people to church yesterday.  That's the most I have ever had in my mission.  We really had 10 people but 4 of them are under 8, so they didn't count. And also yesterday in Sacrament meeting, there were 76 people.  They told me that's the most people they've had in Sacrament Meeting for over 6 months.  We've been working with the inactives quite a bit.  I will tell myself this every single day for the rest of my life, we are sooo blessed to live where we live and to have opportunities in life and especially to have this gospel in our lives.
 
I was reading in the Ensign for the general conference.  I read the talk called, "Which way do you face?"  It was incredible.  It talks about people trying to please others before pleasing God.  It says, "While it certainly takes courage to face perils, the true badge of courage is overcoming the fear of men."  And it gave some really excellent examples:  Bad examples: 1)King Herod was sorrowful at the request to behead John the Baprist but wanted to please "them which sat with him at meat."   2) King Noah was ready to free Abinadi until peer pressure from his wicked priests caused him to waver. 
 
 (King Noah with Abinadi)
 3) King Saul disobeyed the word of the Lord by keeping the spoils of war because he "feared the people, and obeyed their voice."
 
Good examples:  1)Mormon- Behold, I speak with boldness, having authority from God, and I fear not what man can do, for perfect love casteth out all fear (Moroni 8:16).  2) Nephi-Wherefore, the things which are pleasing unto the world I do not write, but the things which are pleasing unto God and unto those who are not of the world (1Ne 6:5).  3) Captain Moroni- Behold, I am Moroni, your chief captain, I seek not for power, but to pull it down.  I seek not for honor of the world, but for the glory of my god, and the freedom and welfare of my country (Alma 60:36).  
(Captain Moroni)
There are many great examples of this in the scriptures. And also the story of Korihor who finally admitted that he always knew there was a god (Alma 30:52). I loved this talk.  This is just a little bit of what I learned.  You should all watch this talk for Family Home Evening. 
 
 
(Click on the link above to listen or read the talk Elder Copeland is talking about.)
 
The church is so incredibly true.  I hope none of you guys take it for granted like the way I did, but with the power of the Atonement, we are all able to receive a remission of our sins and become perfect in Christ.  I love this gospel, I love this work, I love this people, and I love you guys.  I hope you all had a great new year!  Have a great week, love you all!
 
Elder Copeland
 
The picture is of people cooking this pig, and I wanted a picture with them on New Years.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment