Monday, September 8, 2014

Seventh Week - September 8, 2014


Bienvenidos a Granada, Nicaragua
 
Wow, this is hard, this is really really hard.  My first area is Granada (Granade in English probably because this place is a dog pile and it's freakishly hot.)  I am in a trio.  My trainer is Elder Regalizo from Guatemala.  He speaks no English, and he's been out for 17 months.  I really like him.  He works hard and never gives up.  Then my other comp is Elder Bennett from Idaho Falls.  He's been out 6 weeks longer than me. 

Just a little about Nicaragua.  WOW!   This place is poor.  These people have absolutely nothing.  We are blessed beyond description.  It's also hotter than I could imagine with extreme humidity.  We walk all day long and sweat ALL day long.  We barley get food.  I have only had one meal a day (lunch) the first week, so that was bad.  I had no energy, but I just got back from the grocery store and got some food that I'm gonna need for breakfast and dinner--not a lot, but it will hopefully give me some energy.
 (This is the type of area Elder Copeland goes through each day.)

Our house is a little room behind some members' house, and yes it has a tin roof.  During the day you can't even go in the rooms because the tin roofs just radiate the heat, so it's blazing hot in there.  Luckily, it's pitch black by 6:30 so it's not AS hot.  You need a fan right next to you at night or else you can't sleep because it's so hot, so it's amazing to have only cold water for a shower.  Also, two nights ago I got bit by some spider or something on my foot while I was sleeping.  My foot is all swollen and sore.  It hurts, but I'm fine.  I honestly have no idea how these people do it, I'm gonna have to get used to it, but this is so hard.  I cant speak, I can't understand, it's tough.  But I'm staying positive. 
 
 (The outside of the house where Elder Copeland lives.)
 (The inside of Elder Copeland's house.)

I really like my Mission President.  He's a good guy.  But this is hard.  I don't think I've said that yet.  It's definitely the hardest thing I've ever done, and I'm only a week into it.  We had basically no success this past week.  We had 10 investigators that said they would come to church but none did.  It's frustrating because we work so hard all day to try and help them, but they don't care.  They have nothing.  All they do is sit on their lawn chairs and watch tv all day long.  A tv is about all they have. 
 
 (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Meeting House.)

It's gonna take a while of getting used to, but I'm working hard.  That's about all I can do.  I'm currently sitting in some tiny little computer cafe sweating bullets.  That's awesome that Kade caught a nice TD.  Good for him, keep working hard.  And WOW BYU!  I miss them so much it's crazy.  They're good... But I don't really have a lot more to say.  Just know I'm working as hard as I can every day. 

Love you all,

Elder Copeland

No comments:

Post a Comment