Monday, September 29, 2014

Tenth Week - September 29, 2014


Well, another week has passed. 

This week was good, every week just gets better and better.  Since I can't speak Spanish, well, I just obviously try my best, and I just try to talk to the little kids and love them.  Hard to describe it in words what it's like, but to see the smile I put on their faces from playing with them is the best feeling in the world!  I'm starting to love these people, and there's nothing I want more than for them to accept our message.  I have come to the conclusion, if you can serve a faithful mission, you can do absolutely anything in life!
 (Elder Copeland and his companions hiked a mountain on their Preparation Day.)
(Overlooking Granada--Elder Copeland's area is on the left.)
Well, unfortunately I don't have much time today.  But Mom, remember that picture of that fish?  Yeah, I ate two of them.  We were at a member's house on Saturday, and she was cooking these fish called Mojarra or something.  She put two on a plate and gave it to me.  I smiled and said, "Thank you," but stared at these things for a solid five minutes.  Scariest things I have ever seen.  I was staring those things right in the eyes, they were glaring right back at me.  I wish I had my camera to take a picture of them.  But anyways, I ate them.  They weren't too bad other than you hear scrunching in every bite--maybe from the bones, but I don't know what it was.  Ate the scales and everything, that was different, but that lady and their family have absolutely nothing and they were willing to give us these, so I gladly ate them.
(Mojarra--the type of fish Elder Copeland ate.)

Here in Nicaragua, there's no such thing as privacy... There was a lady at church just feeding her baby like it was nothing.  But it's everywhere.  On Wednesday, I went to Managua with my companion because he had a zone leader meeting, so I worked with some missionaries in Managua.  It was fun!  I ate something called cow tongue, wasn't too bad, just really squishy.  I ate McDonalds for breakfast.  That was AMAZING!


Sunday we had four investigators at church.  I can't describe how hard we worked and how much we walked to get them to come to church with us.  Also, my American companion, Elder Bennett who's only been out six weeks longer than me, he and I had to go on exchanges while our trainer went to a baptism interview.  We got a baptism date for this lady.  She's 24 and her husband is in prison for seven years.. He must have done something terrible cause there's no rules here.  You can do whatever you want, however you want. 

Crazy to think I've been in Nicaragua for a month now!  Time flies.  I'll be done before I know it.  How amazing will that day be?  I can only imagine what it will be like, knowing what I just accomplished. 


A couple days ago we were just in our room right after lunch and it was blazing in our room.  I decided to see how hot the tin roof was, so I touched it with my knuckle and it like burnt me!  It was so freaking hot!  In the houses during the days it's like an oven.  This first month it feels like I have walked the pioneer trail like three times already.

Well, I don't have much time.  Thanks everyone for the support.  This is the best work in the world.  No chance a person can do it according to their own talents Alma 26:12.  One thing that I realized.  We use the Bible soooo much here, and I don't know much about it.  I have a ton to learn.  But a scripture I saw I really liked was Philippians 4:13.



Love you all,

Elder Copeland

No comments:

Post a Comment